Frequently Asked Questions
- Does moss kill trees?
- Should I top my trees?
- Do trees need to be fertilized?
- Can I over fertilize my trees?
- Why should I prune my trees?
- Can you over prune?
- What is mistletoe?
- Do vines kill trees?
- What is the best way to remove a stump?
- Will tree roots damage the foundation?
- Can I trim my neighbor’s tree?
- Do you need a permit to remove a tree?
- What is a Certified Arborist?
- Do you need to stake a newly planted tree?
- Do you use spikes to climb a tree?
- What is a co-dominant stem?
- Should a cut be treated or painted?
- When should I start pruning my trees?
- Do we hurricane cut palms?
- Is your company licensed and insured?
1. Does moss kill trees?
No, moss is an air plant which does not feed directly off of the tree. Spanish and ball moss are common in Florida and in a healthy tree it will limit itself.
2. Should I top my trees?
No, this will damage your tree leaving you with a potentially hazardous situation. It could cause your tree to suffer from starvation, shock, and become vulnerable to insect and decay it can also weaken limbs, causing death in some trees.
3. Do trees need to be fertilized?
Yes, fertilizing a tree with nitrogen can increase growth, and reduce the risk of diseases and pests and in some instances can help reverse declining health in a tree.
4. Can I over fertilize my trees?
Yes, if a tree does not need fertilizer or if fertilizer is not applied properly it may not benefit the tree and could have adverse effects. You should always have a professional who can properly apply the fertilizer for you.
5. Why should I prune my trees?
You should prune your trees to help improve the structure, health, clearance, increase light penetration or improve view.
6. Can you over prune?
Yes, excess branch removal depletes reserves and reduces the ability of the tree to photosynthesis extra energy. Never remove more than 25% of the live crown in one single year.
7. What is mistletoe?
Mistletoe is a parasite plant that feeds directly from the tree. If left untreated it could kill your tree.
8. Do vines kill trees?
Only if the vine covers the canopy which could smother your tree.
9. What is the best way to remove a stump?
The best way to remove a stump is by stump grinding. It is the least invasive and most economical way.
10. Will tree roots damage the foundation?
The foundation of a house has a footer which is normally deeper than tree roots generally grow, however tree roots could damage side walks and driveways which typically do not have a footer.
11. Can I trim my neighbor’s tree?
Yes you can trim your neighbor’s tree as long as you don’t encroach into their property. It is always nice to notify your neighbors of what your concerns ands plans are with their tree.
12. Do you need a permit to remove a tree?
Yes, in some instances you will need a permit depending on the size of the tree and the specimen of the tree. It is a good idea to check with your local city or county permit department to see their specific requirements on tree removals.
13. What is a Certified Arborist?
An ARBORIST is a skilled individual who is able to identify trees and properly diagnose a problem and recommend a treatment.
14. Do you need to stake a newly planted tree?
Staking of newly planted trees is not always necessary and in some cases can have adverse effects such as wounding of the trunk or branches and girdling if left in place too long.
15. Do you use spikes to climb a tree?
No, we never use spikes to climb a live tree. We have a 55ft bucket truck, ladders and other equipment available, making it possible to reach high areas.
16. What is a co-dominant stem?
Co-dominant stems are stems which have a weak union and are highly probable to failure.
17. Should a cut be treated or painted?
No, a tree that has been properly cut will heal itself.
18. When should I start pruning my trees?
You should start pruning your trees at installation. This will help promote proper structure and help prevent future problems. See structure pruning on our service page for more details.
19. Do we hurricane cut palms?
No this is an improper pruning technique. It is preferable not to remove live healthy fronds. If you need to remove them you should not exceed an angle of 45 degrees up horizon.
20. Is your company licensed and insured?
Yes we are licensed and insured and carry workers comp on all employees.